June 7 and 8, the Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS) will host a virtual preconference that will bring the conference experience to you. We Can Do It, You Can Too! Metadata Automation For Everyone is a two-day virtual preconference that consists of two 90-minute sessions on automating descriptive metadata creation and automating legacy data cleanup projects. Registration is open, so sign up early to make sure you get a spot. Sponsored by : Metadata Interest Group. Co-sponsored by: ALCTS Technical Services Managers in Academic Libraries Interest Group, ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Interest Group, and the ALCTS Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group.
As the pressure mounts to “digitize all the things!,” the need to upload new digital material quickly, efficiently and accurately while maintaining established standards for discovery and interoperability becomes essential. This virtual preconference, which takes place June 7-8, will explore methods for meeting these expectations including leveraging existing archival data, batch processing, vocabulary reconciliation and other techniques.
Tuesday, June 7, 1 – 2:30 p.m. Central, 2 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, noon – 1:30 p.m. Mountain, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific
Topics and Presenters:
- (New) Migrating ETDs from Dublin Core to MODS: Automated Processes for Metadata Enhancement
- Presented by Annie Glerum, Head of Complex Cataloging, Florida State University Libraries and Dominique Bortmas, Metadata Librarian, University of Southern Florida Libraries
- Finding a New Metadata M.O. : Metadata Automation on a Budget at a Medium-Sized Institution
- Presented by Joseph R. Nicholson, Metadata Librarian at University of North Carolina-Charlotte
Wednesday, June 8, 1 – 2:30 p.m. Central, 2 – 3:30 p.m. Eastern, noon – 1:30 p.m. Mountain, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific
Topics and Presenters:
- Editing Legacy Metadata for ETDs: Description of a Best Practice Using the MARCEdit Plug-In Tool
- Presented by Marielle Veve, Metadata Librarian at University of North Florida
- Looking Back, Moving Forward: A Large-Scale Metadata Remediation Effort
- Presented by Maggie Dickson, Metadata Architect at Duke University
For more information about what will be presented, visit the ALCTS Conference web site.
ALCTS member or international member: $69 entire pre-conference; $43 for one session
Non-member: $95 entire pre-conference; $59 for one session
Group Registration (Group of people that will watch the webinar together from one access point)
ALCTS member (group leader): $159 entire pre-conference; $99 for one session
Non-member (group leader): $206 entire pre-conference; $129 for one session
The sessions are recorded and the one-time registration fee includes unlimited access to the session recording.
How to Register
To register for the entire virtual preconference or one session, complete the online registration form.
For questions about registration, contact ALA Registration at 1-800-545-2433 and press 5 or email email@example.com.
For all other questions or comments related to this virtual preconference and other ALCTS webinars, contact Julie Reese, ALCTS Continuing Education and Program Manager, at 1-800-545-2433, ext. 5034 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALCTS is the national association for information providers who work in collections and technical services, such as acquisitions, cataloging, collection development, preservation and continuing resources in digital and print formats. ALCTS is a division of the American Library Association.