Below are two selected items discussed at the NRMIG business meeting at Midwinter 2009.
Program Update (Jennifer Roper and Joanna Burgess)
- They’ve confirmed with the ALCTS Program Committee that the preconference “Manipulating Metadata: XLST for Librarians” will be held all day Friday. It is intended to be hands-on, and is the only preconference asking for computers.
- NRMIG will hold a program on metadata workflow tools on Saturday from 10:30 to noon featuring three speakers: Jenn Riley, Ann Caldwell and Rhonda Marker.
- NRMIG is also co-sponsoring an ALCTS metadata applications class which Steve Miller is teaching with Jennifer Lang.
Blog update (Erin Stalberg for Kristin Martin)
- Kristin has been listing programs of potential interest to the metadata community before ALA and soliciting bloggers. She had success at recruiting bloggers last annual, but not as many volunteered during this Mid-Winter. She would like to revisit the conversation on whether we should continue this practice or whether the programs are covered well enough on the blogosphere.
- One suggestion submitted is that perhaps someone could take on job of trying to find out what’s being blogged and where.
- Another question Kristin raised is that most blog activity is focused on Midwinter & Annual conferences, leading to a vast amount of time that it’s quiet in interim. Would people be willing to put together articles here and there?
- Is there any interest in reporting on other kinds of conferences that related to metadata?